- 1 3 1/2-pound chicken
- 1 pound pork spare ribs (about 6), ribs separated
- ½ cup dried shrimp
- ¼ cup bottled fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- ½ cup chopped shallots
- 6 scallions, sliced
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 ½ ounces thin rice noodles
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup fried shallots (recipe follows)
- 1 small head Boston lettuce, cut into thin strips
- 3 small bird’s-eye chilies, seeded and very thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
1374 calories; 91 grams fat; 26 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 37 grams monounsaturated fat; 18 grams polyunsaturated fat; 35 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams dietary fiber; 7 grams sugars; 97 grams protein; 434 milligrams cholesterol; 2128 milligrams sodium
4 to 6 servings
- Place the chicken, ribs and dried shrimp in a large pot and add 12 cups of cold water. Place the pot over medium heat and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Skim off any foam and fat that collect on the surface, turn the chicken over, and add the fish sauce, sugar, salt and pepper to the pot. Simmer for an additional 30 to 40 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken and ribs from the stock and allow them to cool. Add the shallots, 4 of the scallions and the onion to the stock and simmer for 20 minutes more. Strain the stock, discarding the solids, and season to taste with more salt if necessary.
- Meanwhile, place the noodles in a bowl and cover them with boiling water. Let them stand until very soft, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside. Pull the meat away from the cooled chicken and ribs and shred it with your fingers. Discard the skin, gristle and bones, and set the meat aside. Heat the oil in a small skillet set over medium heat and fry the beaten egg until firm. Remove it from the skillet, slice it into very fine strips and set aside.
- When ready to assemble the soup, have 4 very large or 6 smaller soup bowls ready. Divide the noodles among the bowls. Top the noodles with some of the shredded chicken. (You will have some left over.) Divide the rib meat, egg and remaining 2 scallions among the bowls. Garnish each with fried shallots, and serve with bowls of the lettuce, chilies, cilantro and lime wedges on the side.
1 hour 45 minutes