- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika
- 12 pieces chicken (thighs, legs and breasts), about 6 pounds
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 cup homemade or low-sodium canned chicken stock
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
1111 calories; 84 grams fat; 23 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 36 grams monounsaturated fat; 16 grams polyunsaturated fat; 6 grams carbohydrates; 0 grams dietary fiber; 2 grams sugars; 76 grams protein; 455 milligrams cholesterol; 822 milligrams sodium
- Heat the oil in a very large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until tender. Add the paprika.
- Sprinkle the chicken with 1 teaspoon salt. Place in the skillet with the onion. Add stock, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes. Turn the chicken and simmer until tender, another 40 minutes.
- Put the sour cream into a bowl and stir in 1/2cup broth from the skillet. Stir mixture back into the skillet. Dissolve cornstarch in 1 tablespoon cold water. Stir the cornstarch mixture into the skillet and cook for 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt. Serve with oven rice (see recipe).
1 hour 30 minutes