- ½ pound (2 sticks) plus 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ⅛ to ¼ cup ice water
- 6 large red Delicious apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- ¾ cup coarsely chopped pecans
- ¾ cup raisins
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup old-fashioned (not quick-cooking) oatmeal
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (10 servings)
615 calories; 28 grams fat; 14 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 9 grams monounsaturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 87 grams carbohydrates; 6 grams dietary fiber; 56 grams sugars; 5 grams protein; 57 milligrams cholesterol; 74 milligrams sodium
One 9-inch pie
- Thinly slice 1/4 pound (1 stick) of the butter, and place in freezer until well chilled. In the bowl of a food processor, combine 1 1/4 cups of the flour, salt, sugar and butter from freezer. Pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal, about 10 seconds. With machine running, add ice water drop by drop until the dough just holds together. Transfer dough to a mixing bowl, and shape into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Fit into a nonstick or lightly buttered 9-inch pie plate, and trim the edge with a sharp knife. Lightly cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate.
- In a large saute pan over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons of the remaining butter. Add apple slices, and saute until soft, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and allow to cool.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. In a mixing bowl, combine pecans, raisins, cinnamon and 3/4 cup of light brown sugar. Mix well. Add apples, toss lightly and set aside. Slice remaining 1/4 pound (1 stick) butter, and place in the bowl of a food processor. Add remaining 1/2 cup flour, and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Transfer to a mixing bowl, and add remaining 3/4 cup light brown sugar, and oatmeal; mix well.
- Spoon apple mixture into chilled pie shell. Cover with oatmeal topping. Bake on a middle oven rack until crust is golden brown and filling is slightly bubbly, about 1 hour. Allow to cool before serving.