- 1 pound Gruenkern (green wheat kernels), rinsed and soaked overnight (see note)
- 4 pounds of beef short ribs
- 2 beef bones
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (8 servings)
1137 calories; 85 grams fat; 35 grams saturated fat; 37 grams monounsaturated fat; 3 grams polyunsaturated fat; 48 grams carbohydrates; 8 grams dietary fiber; 2 grams sugars; 44 grams protein; 183 milligrams cholesterol; 770 milligrams sodium
8 – 10 servings
- Put all the ingredients in a pot and add 12 cups water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, periodically skimming the foam that comes to the top. Reduce heat and simmer 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, take out the meat and bones and allow them to cool. Meanwhile, skim the fat off the soup. Scoop out any marrow from the bones and return it to the pot.
- Separate the meat from the bones, discarding fat and gristle. Chop the meat into 1/2-inch cubes and return it to the pot. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Available by mail order from International Gourmet and Gift Center, 569-2611.
2 hours 30 minutes