- 2 canned, imported jalapeno peppers
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 pounds cucumbers, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 scallions, trimmed of most of the green portion and chopped
- ½ cup blanched almonds
- 3 tomatillos (Mexican green tomatoes), outer skins removed, washed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon habanero hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon vodka
- ½ teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, minced
- 8 large red tomatoes, peeled
- ⅓ cup fresh basil leaves, sliced into chiffonade
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (8 servings)
146 calories; 5 grams fat; 0 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 3 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 22 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams dietary fiber; 14 grams sugars; 4 grams protein; 255 milligrams sodium
- Using rubber gloves, chop 1 of the jalapeno peppers. Combine the sugar and 1/4 cup water in a pan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Add the chopped jalapeno and cool to room temperature before straining. Put the jalapeno in the bowl of a food processor.
- Using rubber gloves, seed and chop 2 teaspoons of the remaining jalapeno and add to the food processor with the cucumbers, garlic, scallions, almonds, tomatillos, lime juice, hot sauce and vodka. Pulse to get an almost smooth consistency. Add salt to taste. Stir in the cilantro and mint.
- Freeze in an ice-cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Meanwhile, cut the top third of the tomatoes off and carefully seed and core.
- Toss the basil with the oil. Fill each tomato with 1/3 to 1/2 cup of the sorbet and top with some of the basil chiffonade.