- 4 ripe medium tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces pitted black olives, about 1 cup
- 2 anchovy fillets or 1 teaspoon capers, or both
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ pound mozzarella, preferably fresh
- ½ cup shredded or roughly chopped basil
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
286 calories; 22 grams fat; 8 grams saturated fat; 10 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 8 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 3 grams sugars; 14 grams protein; 44 milligrams cholesterol; 575 milligrams sodium
- Core the tomatoes, and cut them into eighths. Salt them lightly, and let sit while you make the tapenade.
- Combine the olives, anchovies or capers, vinegar, oil and 1 tablespoon water in a blender or small food processor. Blend until pureed, but not too fine. Add more water if necessary; the mixture should be fairly loose. Taste the puree, and add salt and pepper as you like.
- Cut the mozzarella into chunks, and toss with the tomatoes and about half the tapenade; season with salt and pepper if necessary, and add more tapenade to taste. Garnish with basil, and serve immediately.