- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- Leaves from 2 sprigs parsley, chopped
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 2 pounds London broil, cut into slices 2 inches wide and 1/2 inch thick
- Juice of 1 lemon, the squeezed halves reserved
- Juice of 1 lime, the squeezed halves reserved
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon Goya-brand adobo seasoning
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Picalese (see recipe)
- 4 hard-shelled blue crabs, apron and gills removed
- 1 pound okra, ends trimmed
- ½ Spanish onion, peeled and thinly sliced, plus 1 tablespoon finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
709 calories; 36 grams fat; 12 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 17 grams monounsaturated fat; 3 grams polyunsaturated fat; 14 grams carbohydrates; 5 grams dietary fiber; 3 grams sugars; 78 grams protein; 281 milligrams cholesterol; 706 milligrams sodium
- With a mortar and pestle, combine the garlic, parsley and scallion and mash into a paste.
- In a colander in the sink, rub the beef all over with the insides of the lemon and lime halves and rinse with hot water. Transfer the meat to a large bowl and toss with the scallion paste, lemon and lime juices, hot sauce and adobo and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over high heat. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until dark red, about 30 seconds. Add the beef mixture and Picalese and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Add the crabs and 1 cup water and continue to cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Add the okra, onion, butter and 2 cups water and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until the okra is tender, about 10 minutes more.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a serving platter and serve immediately.