- ½ pound raw good-quality lean beef
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon sake or dry sherry
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon peanut oil
- 1 pound fresh broccoli
- 1 slice fresh ginger, 1/4-inch thick
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with a little water
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup chicken stock or water
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
200 calories; 10 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 4 grams monounsaturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 11 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams dietary fiber; 2 grams sugars; 16 grams protein; 38 milligrams cholesterol; 511 milligrams sodium
4 to 6 servings if part of a meal of several courses
- Cut the beef into 1/8-inch-thick slices, and mix with the next 5 ingredients. Slice the broccoli stems diagonally into paper-thin slices, and divide florets into 3 or 4 pieces, depending on size. Mince ginger. Add pepper to the cornstarch solution.
- Using high heat, heat a wok, add 1 tablespoon of peanut oil, the salt and ginger, and stir-fry 10 seconds.
- Add the broccoli, and stir-fry 30 seconds.
- Add stock, cover, and boil 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the broccoli mixture, and set aside.
- Reheat wok to high heat and add remaining peanut oil. Add the beef slices, and spread them out and flatten them against the surface of the wok. Do not disturb for 45 seconds. Stir-fry 10 seconds, and add reserved broccoli mixture.
- Add cornstarch mixture, stir until thickened, remove from heat, and serve.