- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ⅔ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 ⅓ cups pitted dates, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 6 tablespoons golden syrup (see note)
- Butterscotch sauce (see recipe)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In a mixing bowl, cream the butter with the brown sugar, then mix in the eggs and fold in the flour.
- Puree the dates with 1 cup warm water and mix into batter.
- Film 6 7-ounce custard cups with golden syrup, then fill with batter and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted at the edge comes out clean.
- Run a knife around the sides of puddings and invert onto serving plates. Pour warm butterscotch sauce over each and serve.
- Lyle’s golden syrup is available at most supermarkets.
About 1 hour