- 1 cup (2 sticks) plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 5 large eggs
- 1 ¾ cups sugar, plus more to taste
- 1 ⅓ cups almond flour
- 1 ¼ cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon grated tangerine zest
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 3 pints strawberries, hulled
- 4 cups trimmed, sliced rhubarb
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (8 servings)
673 calories; 38 grams fat; 16 grams saturated fat; 1 gram trans fat; 8 grams monounsaturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 75 grams carbohydrates; 5 grams dietary fiber; 50 grams sugars; 11 grams protein; 181 milligrams cholesterol; 52 milligrams sodium
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a loaf pan. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Set aside to cool.
- Using an electric mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat eggs and 1 cup sugar until thick and pale, about 3 minutes.
- In a bowl, sift together almond flour, cake flour and zest. Fold 1/3 of the flour mixture into eggs until thoroughly combined. Fold in rest of flour in 2 batches. Fold in all but 2 tablespoons of the melted butter. Scrape batter into pan, and sprinkle almonds on top. Brush remaining butter over almonds.
- Bake cake until a tester inserted into the middle comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. If the top of the cake seems to be getting overly browned before the center is set, cover with foil and continue baking. Let cool on a rack before inverting.
- Meanwhile, make the compote. In a medium saucepan, combine 1 pint of the strawberries, the rhubarb, 3/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until fruit breaks down into a puree. Let mixture cool, then taste and add more sugar if desired.
- Just before serving, place remaining strawberries in a large skillet, and sprinkle with sugar to taste. Cook strawberries over high heat until they release their juices and sugar dissolves. Serve slices of the poundcake surrounded by strawberry-rhubarb compote and topped with strawberries.
1 hour 20 minutes