- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 ½ pounds ground veal
- ½ pound ground pork
- 2 pinches Aleppo pepper or 1 pinch red pepper flakes (see note)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup peeled, seeded and diced plum tomatoes (about 5)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons veal demi-glace
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ teaspoons sage
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
717 calories; 51 grams fat; 19 grams saturated fat; 1 gram trans fat; 25 grams monounsaturated fat; 3 grams polyunsaturated fat; 11 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 5 grams sugars; 43 grams protein; 151 milligrams cholesterol; 358 milligrams sodium
Sauce for 1 to 1 1/2 pounds pasta, serving 4 to 6 people
- In a large deep saute pan, heat the oil and add the carrots, celery and onion. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the veal, pork, Aleppo pepper, garlic and bay leaf and season lightly with salt and pepper. Cook, breaking the chunks of meat with a spatula, until the meat is no longer pink, about 10 minutes.
- Add the wine, tomatoes and tomato paste and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 20 minutes. Discard the bay leaf. Stir in the demi-glace, cream and sage and cook for 3 more minutes. Remove from the heat, season with salt and pepper and stir in the parsley. Serve over pasta with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Aleppo pepper is available at specialty stores or by mail from Adriana’s Caravan, (800) 316-0820.