- 4 medium beets, washed and trimmed
- 1 ½ teaspoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 ½ teaspoons minced tarragon
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 teaspoons finely chopped shallots
- 6 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 drops Tabasco sauce
- 2 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces skinned salmon fillet, cut into very small dice
- 1 ½ teaspoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- Pea shoots for garnish, optional
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
221 calories; 16 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 8 grams monounsaturated fat; 3 grams polyunsaturated fat; 6 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram dietary fiber; 4 grams sugars; 12 grams protein; 31 milligrams cholesterol; 88 milligrams sodium
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place beets in small roasting pan with 1/2 cup water. Cover, and cook until tender when pierced with a fork, about 1 hour. Cool, then peel and cut into very fine dice.
- In a bowl, combine beets with 3/4 teaspoon chives, 3/4 teaspoon tarragon, 1/2 teaspoon mustard and 1 1/2 teaspoons shallots. Add 4 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice, Tabasco and 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil. Mix well, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine salmon, remaining chives, tarragon and shallots. Add parsley and remaining mustard and lemon. Add remaining oil, and season to taste. Mix well, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- On each of four serving plates, place 1/4 of the beet tartare in the bottom of a 3-inch ring mold. Top with an even layer of 1/4 of the salmon tartare. Pat gently to compress. Remove ring molds, and garnish with pea shoots if desired.