- 2 tablespoons neutral oil, like canola or grape seed
- ½ cup minced onion
- 1 head cauliflower, about 2 pounds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 2 teaspoons curry powder, or to taste
- 5 or 6 canned plum tomatoes, with juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound boneless chicken, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Minced cilantro or parsley for garnish, optional
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
395 calories; 25 grams fat; 5 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 11 grams monounsaturated fat; 5 grams polyunsaturated fat; 18 grams carbohydrates; 6 grams dietary fiber; 7 grams sugars; 26 grams protein; 85 milligrams cholesterol; 305 milligrams sodium
- Put the oil in a 12-inch skillet, and turn the heat to high; add the onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until it begins to brown. While it’s cooking, trim the cauliflower and cut the florets into 1/2-inch-thick pieces.
- When the onion has browned a little, add the cumin seed and curry powder and cook about 30 seconds. Add the cauliflower, and stir, still over high heat, for another minute. Cut up the tomatoes, and add them to the pan along with their juice, 1/4 cup water and a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper. Cover, and turn the heat to medium-low.
- Cook 10 minutes, stirring once or twice. Add the chicken, stir, cover the pan again and cook 6 to 8 minutes longer, or until the chicken is cooked through. (If the sauce appears to be drying up at any time, add a little more water.) Stir in the lemon juice, taste and adjust seasoning. Garnish if you like, and serve.