For the broth:
- 1 package (1 tablespoon) instant dashi
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons sake
- 2 teaspoons sugar
For the noodles:
- 10 ounces dried soba noodles
- 4 teaspoons wasabi powder
- 4 scallions, green part only, finely chopped
- 1 sheet nori seaweed, cut into matchstick slivers
- 4 tablespoons dried bonito flakes (optional)
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
302 calories; 0 grams fat; 0 grams saturated fat; 0 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 58 grams carbohydrates; 0 grams dietary fiber; 2 grams sugars; 12 grams protein; 0 milligrams cholesterol; 1446 milligrams sodium
- Combine 4 cups water, dashi, soy sauce, mirin, sake and sugar in bowl. Whisk until dashi and sugar dissolve; set aside.
- Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large saucepan. Add soba noodles, and cook until tender, about 6 minutes. Drain noodles in colander, rinse with cold water until cool, and drain again.
- Combine wasabi powder and 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl, and stir. Let stand about 6 minutes, until it becomes a thick paste. Using your finger, form 4 small balls.
- To serve, divide noodles among 4 bowls, and ladle broth over them. Arrange wasabi balls, scallion greens, nori and dried bonito flakes (if using) on top of noodles. Using chopsticks, dissolve wasabi balls into broth; do not eat whole. Serve at once.