- 1 dried pasilla chili (see note)
- 2 dried chipotle chilies
- 8 plum tomatoes, halved
- 2 small onions, peeled and halved
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons lemon juice
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (16 servings)
26 calories; 1 gram fat; 0 grams saturated fat; 1 gram monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 2 grams carbohydrates; 0 grams dietary fiber; 1 gram sugars; 0 grams protein; 147 milligrams sodium
About 2 cups
- Place the chilies in a small bowl and cover with boiling water. Soak for 20 minutes. Drain, remove and discard stems and set chilies aside.
- Preheat broiler. Place tomatoes, onions and garlic in a bowl, add oil, salt and pepper and toss. Place vegetables on a pan lined with foil and broil about 6 inches from heat, until browned, about 8 minutes.
- Blend the vegetables and chilies in a blender until smooth. Add sugar and lemon juice and blend until combined. Season to taste with salt and serve.
- Chilies are available through Adriana’s Caravan.