- 2 large mangoes, ripe but not soft
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus butter for baking sheet
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup passion fruit sauce (see recipe)
- Sour cream sorbet (see recipe)
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- Peel mangoes. Cut in thirds horizontally, leaving the pit in middle section. Place each portion without pit cut-side down on a work surface, and with a large knife cut into 8 slices perpendicular to the cutting board. Gently push down on slices so they spread out and overlap slightly.
- Sliver enough mango flesh left around the pits to make 1/2 cup. Set slivers aside.
- Butter a baking sheet large enough to hold mangoes in a single layer. Heat the broiler.
- Melt remaining butter in a large nonstick skillet. Use a spatula to place each sliced mango third in the pan so they keep their shape. Cook over medium heat about 5 minutes, sprinkling with two tablespoons sugar, and basting with pan juices.
- With spatula, transfer mangoes to baking sheet, place under broiler, and broil until edges just start to color. Do not overcook. Set mangoes aside.
- Add remaining sugar to juices in skillet, and cook over medium heat until juices start to caramelize. Add lemon juice, and continue to cook, stirring, until amber colored. Season lightly with pepper. Spoon on mangoes.
- Place a sliced caramelized mango third in each of 4 shallow soup plates. Spoon passion fruit sauce around each, and scatter raw mango slivers around. Top each with a large oval scoop of sour cream sorbet, sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon coarse pepper on top and serve at once.