- ½ pound slab bacon, diced
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 ½ pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 6 eggs, optional
- 1 ¾ cups cooked chickpeas or 1 can, drained
- 5 cups, packed, very finely shredded Swiss chard leaves (about 1 bunch)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
520 calories; 33 grams fat; 8 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 17 grams monounsaturated fat; 5 grams polyunsaturated fat; 37 grams carbohydrates; 7 grams dietary fiber; 5 grams sugars; 18 grams protein; 210 milligrams cholesterol; 510 milligrams sodium
- Place bacon in a heavy 4-quart saucepan. Add 1/3 cup water, and cook over medium heat until water evaporates. Add 2 tablespoons oil. Sauté until lightly browned. Drain, leaving 2 tablespoons fat in pan.
- Add onion and garlic to oil in pan and sauté over low heat until soft and barely golden. Add potatoes and 8 cups water. Bring to a boil, season with salt, and cook until potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes.
- If using the eggs, poach them, drain, trim any ragged edges, and set aside.
- Remove potatoes with a slotted spoon to a large mixing bowl, and roughly mash them with a fork or a potato masher. Return potatoes to liquid in pot, and stir to dissolve them.
- Add chickpeas, reserved bacon, chard leaves and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Bring to a simmer, and cook about 5 minutes, until leaves wilt. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to warm soup plates. If using the eggs, add one to each plate. Top with chopped cilantro and a drizzle of the remaining olive oil.