For the fruit compote:
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- Grated zest of 1 lime
- ½ vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1 pineapple or 2 large Asian pears, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 red papaya, 2 yellow papayas or 2 mangoes, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 9 kiwis, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch diced
For the lime yogurt cream:
- ½ teaspoon powdered gelatin
- 4 large egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar
- Grated zest and strained juice of 2 limes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup crème fraîche or sour cream
For the spongecake:
- 2 8- or 9-inch spongecake layers, homemade or storebought
12 to 15 servings
- To make fruit compote, place 3/4 cup of sugar in a skillet. Add half the lime zest, 1 piece vanilla bean and 1/2 cup water to the pan. Heat the syrup, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Simmer for 5 to 7 minutes until very reduced.
- Add 4 cups pineapple or Asian pear to syrup, reserving rest for garnish. Cook gently until fruit is glazed and softened but holds its shape, 2 to 6 minutes. Remove vanilla bean. Place fruit in a bowl and let cool.
- In clean skillet, add remaining sugar, lime zest, other piece of vanilla bean and 1/2 cup water. Make a syrup as in Step 1. Add 4 cups papaya or mango to syrup, reserving rest for garnish. Cook gently until fruit is glazed and softened, but holds its shape, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove vanilla bean. Place fruit in a bowl and let cool.
- To make yogurt cream, simmer an inch of water in the bottom of a double boiler. In a small bowl combine gelatin with 2 teaspoons cold water and set aside. Place egg yolks, sugar, lime zest and juice in top of double boiler. Whisking constantly, heat yolks over simmering water until thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. Take egg mixture off heat and whisk in gelatin until it dissolves, about 20 seconds.
- With electric mixer, whip cream until thickened and soft peaks just begin to form. Whisk yogurt and crème fraîche into yolk mixture, then whisk in whipped cream.
- Slice layers of cake in half horizontally and trim so they fit into a large glass bowl. Place one layer in bowl. Starting at edge of bowl so that fruit shows through glass, place kiwis in one layer on cake. Spread a quarter of yogurt cream over kiwis and top with another cake layer. Using a slotted spoon, scoop a layer of papaya on the cake, then another quarter of cream and third layer of cake. Top with remaining fruit, another quarter of cream and final cake layer. Spread remaining cream on top. Cover trifle with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours and up to 3 days. Before serving, press pieces of sliced tropical fruit on top.
2 hours 30 minutes