- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 handful mixed fresh herbs (sage, thyme and parsley) palm full of herbes de Provence
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 3 boneless smoked shoulder butt hams (about 2 pounds each), rinsed
- 12 large carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 large turnips, peeled and quartered
- 12 medium russet potatoes, peeled and halved
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 24 pearl onions, blanched, rinsed and peeled
- ¼ pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 large cabbages, trimmed and quartered
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (8 servings)
998 calories; 30 grams fat; 10 grams saturated fat; 14 grams monounsaturated fat; 3 grams polyunsaturated fat; 115 grams carbohydrates; 23 grams dietary fiber; 23 grams sugars; 70 grams protein; 193 milligrams cholesterol; 4076 milligrams sodium
- Combine 3 gallons water with the celery, onion, bay leaf, herbs, garlic and peppercorns in a 4- to 5-gallon pot and heat to boiling over medium heat. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add the hams, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- While the hams cook, prepare the vegetables: tie up the carrots and turnips in a piece of cheesecloth. Divide the potatoes and parsnips in half and tie up each bundle in a piece of cheesecloth. Tie up the pearl onions and beans in a piece of cheesecloth. Divide the cabbage wedges into 2 pieces of cheesecloth and tie up.
- Remove the hams to a platter and keep warm.
- Add the carrot-and-turnip bundle to the simmering ham water; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the potato and parsnip bundles; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the onion and bean bundle; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the cabbage bundle; cover and steam for 10 minutes.
- Using tongs, lift each bundle out and test for doneness. Cut the vegetable bundles and arrange the vegetables in bowls. Slice the ham thickly. Spoon cooking water over the vegetables and ham. Serve with mustard, horseradish, bread and applesauce.
2 hours 15 minutes