For the turkey:
- 1 small turkey (13 to 14 pounds)
- Salt and pepper
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) butter, softened
For the stuffing:
- 4 large hard rolls (like Italian or kaiser)
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ⅓ cup lard
- 1 large onion, chopped
- turkey giblets, washed and chopped
- 3 cups chopped celery
- 2 tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 15 pitted prunes, chopped
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (10 servings)
1318 calories; 67 grams fat; 24 grams saturated fat; 1 gram trans fat; 20 grams monounsaturated fat; 14 grams polyunsaturated fat; 31 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams dietary fiber; 13 grams sugars; 142 grams protein; 581 milligrams cholesterol; 1681 milligrams sodium
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Wash the turkey inside and out. Dry with paper towels. Set aside.
- In a nonstick skillet over medium heat, melt the lard and sauté the onion until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the giblets and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the celery, apples, nuts and prunes, and sauté for 2 minutes. Drain the bread and add to the skillet. Stir in the seasonings. Sauté for 2 minutes, until the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat. Set aside and let cool. Spoon the stuffing into the turkey body and the neck cavities, cover with the skin flaps and sew up with kitchen twine. Rub the turkey with salt and pepper and then with 4 tablespoons butter.
- Place an adjustable V-shape roasting rack in a large, deep roasting pan. Arrange so the turkey (breast side down) sits high in the pan. Add enough water to cover the bottom, to keep the drippings from burning, but leave plenty of space between the water level and the turkey. Roast on the oven’s lowest rack for 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Turn the turkey breast side up on the V-shaped rack. Roast for another 15 minutes. Remove from oven and rub with salt and pepper and 4 tablespoons of butter.
- Melt the remaining butter. Return the turkey to the oven and roast the turkey for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until the thigh juices run clear when pierced, basting with some of the remaining melted butter every 20 minutes. Add water to the pan as needed.
- Remove the turkey from the oven and let it sit for 20 to 30 minutes, loosely covered with foil. Remove the stuffing to a bowl. Carve and joint the turkey as desired.
For the stuffing:
- Break up the rolls into 1 1/2-inch pieces and place in a bowl. Pour the milk over the bread and toss to coat. Set aside, tossing the bread occasionally to keep wet.
4 hours 30 minutes