- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup large dried lima beans, presoaked overnight or parboiled for five minutes, then presoaked one hour
- 1 quart well-flavored chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 thin slices lemon
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
277 calories; 6 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 3 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 39 grams carbohydrates; 8 grams dietary fiber; 8 grams sugars; 15 grams protein; 7 milligrams cholesterol; 353 milligrams sodium
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil and saute onion until it turns golden. Add soaked lima beans and stock. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, for about two hours, or until the beans are tender.
- Remove beans to a bowl with a slotted spoon and roughly mash them so there are still some pieces of bean.
- Return the beans to the liquid in the saucepan and stir. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in yogurt and lemon juice and reheat, stirring, but do not allow the soup to return to a boil.
- Serve garnished with lemon slices.
2 hours 15 minutes