- 1 large egg
- 2 Thai green chilies, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- Juice and finely grated zest of 1 lime
- 1 cup, densely packed, cooked and cooled mashed sweet potatoes
- 3 cups, densely packed, cooked and cooled mashed white potatoes
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- ½ cup chopped cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (12 servings)
87 calories; 5 grams fat; 0 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 3 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 9 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram dietary fiber; 1 gram sugars; 1 gram protein; 15 milligrams cholesterol; 20 milligrams sodium
12 potato cakes
- Break egg into a bowl, and whisk in chilies, garlic and ginger. Add juice and zest of lime, and mix well.
- In a large bowl, combine sweet potatoes, white potatoes, scallions and cilantro. Mix well with a fork. Add egg mixture, and stir until evenly blended.
- Line a baking sheet with plastic wrap. Using a 1/3-cup measure, scoop up some of the mixture. With wet hands, shape into a flat cake or patty, then place on plastic. Make 12 cakes. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 1/2 hour, to help them keep their shape when frying.
- Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, and add oil. When oil is hot, add potato cakes. Fry, turning once, until crisp and golden brown on both sides, about 3 to 5 minutes a side. Serve hot.