- 1 ¼ cups basmati rice
- 3 tablespoons soy oil
- 4 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup fine dry bread crumbs, plus more for coating
- Oil for deep-frying
- Cumin Tomato Sauce (see recipe)
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (8 servings)
410 calories; 28 grams fat; 3 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 16 grams monounsaturated fat; 7 grams polyunsaturated fat; 31 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram dietary fiber; 1 gram sugars; 8 grams protein; 72 milligrams cholesterol; 166 milligrams sodium
- Prepare the rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat and sauté the garlic until lightly browned. Add the onion and sauté until clear. Stir in the spinach, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese and Tabasco. Remove from the heat.
- Add the rice to the spinach mixture and mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Beat 2 of the eggs in a small bowl and add to the spinach mixture. Mix well and set aside to cool.
- Form the mixture into 24 balls. Beat the remaining egg with 1/4 cup water. Dip each ball into the egg wash and then into the bread crumbs.
- Pour oil into a saucepan to a depth of 2 inches and heat to about 365 degrees. Fry the spinach balls in batches until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and keep warm in a low oven until all the balls are fried. Serve with Cumin Tomato Sauce.
- To make Carrot Rice Balls, substitute 1 cup finely shredded cooked carrots for the spinach.
About 1 hour