For the crust:
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon cake flour
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 8 ounces (1 package) cream cheese, chilled and cut into small pieces
For the filling:
- 1 ¼ cups (4 ounces) blanched, sliced almonds
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 10 ripe Santa Rosa plums, pitted and sliced
- Demerara sugar for sprinkling
- Whipped creme fraiche or vanilla ice cream
- To prepare dough, in a food processor, combine flours, sugar and salt and pulse a few times. Add butter and cream cheese. Process until mixture just comes together. Turn dough onto a piece of plastic wrap, press it into a disk, wrap it well and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Cut dough into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece between sheets of plastic wrap into 1/8-inch-thick rounds (about 6 inches in diameter). Place pastry rounds on one or two baking sheets that have been lined with parchment paper or nonstick liners. Chill rounds while preparing filling.
- For filling, in a food processor, combine almonds with 1 tablespoon of sugar. Pulse until mixture becomes a fine meal (avoid over-processing). Add butter, 2 eggs, flour, vanilla and salt and process until combined.
- In a bowl, beat remaining egg with 1 tablespoon water. Brush this egg wash over prepared pastry rounds. Spoon about 2 tablespoons almond filling in center of each pastry round and spread it to within 2 inches of the edge. Arrange plum slices in a spiral over filling. Sprinkle raw sugar generously over plums. Fold edges of tart dough up over edges of plums. Dough will overlap.
- Bake tarts until pastry is golden brown, about 18 to 20 minutes. Serve warm with whipped creme fraiche or vanilla ice cream.