- ½ cup brown or green lentils, washed and picked over
- ½ large red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tomatoes (canned are fine), chopped
- ½ teaspoon cayenne or dried red chili flakes, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup medium-grain bulgur
- 3 cups chicken, beef or vegetable stock (approximately), preferably homemade, or water
- ½ cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 or 3 cups chopped mesclun or romaine
- Lemon juice
- 1 cup low-fat yogurt
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
618 calories; 31 grams fat; 7 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 16 grams monounsaturated fat; 5 grams polyunsaturated fat; 52 grams carbohydrates; 9 grams dietary fiber; 7 grams sugars; 34 grams protein; 82 milligrams cholesterol; 202 milligrams sodium
4 to 6 servings
- If time allows soak lentils in cold water to cover an hour or more. Drain. Soak onion in salted water to cover until ready to serve.
- Put 1 tablespoon oil in a large deep saucepan, and turn heat to medium. A minute later add garlic and cook until fragrant, another minute or so. Add tomato, cayenne and cumin and cook until tomato is soft, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add bulgur and cook, stirring, 3 to 4 minutes, then add liquid and lentils. Bring to a boil, then cover, and adjust heat so mixture simmers steadily. Cook for 20 to 30 minutes or until lentils and bulgur are tender and all liquid is absorbed. If mixture starts to dry out, add liquid as needed and continue cooking. You will definitely need to add liquid if you did not soak the lentils. If mixture is too wet, raise heat a bit and cook uncovered, stirring, until it dries out.
- Toss herbs and lettuce with remaining olive oil and lemon juice to taste; add salt and pepper to taste. Serve lentil-bulgur mixture topped with dressed greens, drained onions and a dollop of yogurt on the side.