- 2 tablespoons salt-packed or brined capers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for frying
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 4 fillets striped bass (about 2 pounds)
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
285 calories; 12 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 6 grams monounsaturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 1 gram carbohydrates; 0 grams dietary fiber; 0 grams sugars; 40 grams protein; 181 milligrams cholesterol; 1432 milligrams sodium
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Soak the salt-packed capers for 10 minutes, drain, rinse, then thoroughly pat dry. (If using brined capers, drain them and pat dry.) Pour 1/2 inch olive oil into a small saucepan and place over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot enough to toast a bread crumb in 30 seconds, add the capers. Be careful, the oil may sputter. Fry until the capers fluff up and begin to brown on the edges, 30 to 60 seconds. Drain the capers on a paper towel.
- Pour the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick sauté pan. Place over medium-high heat and add the garlic clove. Season the fish with salt and pepper. When the garlic bubbles on the edges, lay the fish in the pan, skin side down. Sauté until browned on the bottom, 4 to 5 minutes, then put the pan in the oven and roast until the fish is just cooked through, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Set a fillet on each of 4 plates. Sprinkle the fried capers over the fillets and serve with wedges of lemon.