- ¾ cup sifted flour
- Pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter
- 1 cup fruit perserves
- Confectioners’ sugar (optional)
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (12 servings)
75 calories; 3 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 1 gram monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 8 grams carbohydrates; 0 grams dietary fiber; 2 grams sugars; 2 grams protein; 38 milligrams cholesterol; 47 milligrams sodium
About 12 six-inch crepes
- Mix the flour and salt. Beat eggs and milk just until well blended. Stir into flour mixture until smooth. Stir in butter. Set aside for at least one-half hour and up to two hours. (Batter may also be kept overnight but may have to be thinned with a little milk before using. It should be just a little thicker than heavy cream.)
- Heat a six- to seven-inch crepe pan. (See note.)
- Spoon a small amount of batter into the pan, tipping the pan so the batter just coats the entire bottom.
- Cook about two minutes, until the underside is golden, flip over and cook the second side about 30 seconds, until lightly browned. Stack finished crepes on a plate and repeat with remaining batter.
- Spread a spoonful of preserves on each crepe, roll the crepes or fold them in quarters and warm in the oven before serving. Tops of filled crepes may be dusted with confectioners’ sugar and if the crepes are placed under the broiler very briefly the sugar will caramelize.
- If you use well-seasoned French iron crepe pans you will not need butter or oil for frying the crepes. To season pan scrub it, heat on top of the stove over medium heat and when the pan is hot rub it with a light cooking oil. Allow to cool. Reheat and rub with oil twice more. The crepe pan is ready to use. It should only be wiped or rinsed clean after use, never scrubbed with soap or detergent. If you use two pans at once you will be able to make the crepes faster. Other types of pans may require a little butter or oil for frying the crepes.
25 minute, plus sit time