- Salt to taste
- 1 pound fresh peas, shelled
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 slices bacon
- 4 slices bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 to 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tangerines
- 4 teaspoons creme fraiche
- 4 sprigs fresh mint leaves, destemmed
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
369 calories; 19 grams fat; 5 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 9 grams monounsaturated fat; 3 grams polyunsaturated fat; 37 grams carbohydrates; 7 grams dietary fiber; 13 grams sugars; 13 grams protein; 21 milligrams cholesterol; 348 milligrams sodium
- Boil 1 quart well-salted water in a large pot. Add peas; cook until tender, 5 to 10 minutes. (Go by taste rather than time.) Strain peas, saving blanching water, and place them in a bowl of ice water. Puree peas in batches with a little blanching water and pass through a fine sieve or food mill into a large saucepan. Blend, thin with a little hot water if necessary and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cook bacon slices on a sheet pan until crisp, about 10 minutes. Remove to paper towels. Keep oven on.
- Place bread cubes on the same pan. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to pick up bacon drippings. Bake until crispy, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Set aside.
- With a knife, peel and segment tangerines over a bowl to catch the juices. Set aside.
- To serve: Reheat soup over medium heat. Lightly crumble bacon into 4 soup bowls. Add croutons, tangerine segments and a little juice. Add a dollop of creme fraiche and a mint sprig. Ladle in the soup and drizzle with remaining olive oil.