- 2 tablespoons corn or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch cayenne
- 1 ½ to 2 cups chopped tomatoes (canned are fine; drain excess liquid)
- 4 cups chickpeas (canned are fine; drain and rinse first)
- ½ cup raisins or chopped pitted dates
- ½ vanilla bean
- 8 chicken thighs, or 4 leg-thigh pieces, cut in two
- Chopped cilantro or parsley leaves
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
899 calories; 47 grams fat; 12 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 16 grams monounsaturated fat; 12 grams polyunsaturated fat; 74 grams carbohydrates; 18 grams dietary fiber; 24 grams sugars; 46 grams protein; 181 milligrams cholesterol; 822 milligrams sodium
- Put oil and butter in a large skillet or casserole, which can be covered later, and turn heat to medium high. When butter melts, add onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until it softens, 5 to 10 minutes. Add garlic, a large pinch of salt and spices. Cook, stirring, for about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, chickpeas, raisins and vanilla, and bring to a boil. (If mixture is very dry, add about 1/2 cup water.) Taste, and add salt as necessary.
- Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt, and nestle them into sauce. Cover, and 5 minutes later adjust heat so mixture simmers steadily. Cook until chicken is very tender, 45 minutes to an hour. Taste, and adjust seasoning. Then garnish, and serve.