- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons coarse fresh bread crumbs
- 4 tablespoons minced green garlic or 1 teaspoon minced regular garlic
- 2 large heads Belgian endive, cut in two
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 ounces Black Forest ham, cut into 1/4-inch cubes (1/4 cup)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
219 calories; 18 grams fat; 7 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 8 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 10 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram dietary fiber; 0 grams sugars; 4 grams protein; 38 milligrams cholesterol; 655 milligrams sodium
4 side-dish servings
- Heat oven to 450. Melt butter in a small skillet until foamy. Add bread crumbs and sauté until golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and sauté until fragrant, 10 seconds. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Rub endive with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and place cut-side down in a shallow baking dish. Roast until spears are golden brown on bottom, 5 to 7 minutes. Turn endive with tongs, add cream and ham, return to oven, and bake until cream has reduced to a glaze, 4 to 5 minutes more.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over endive, turning spears to coat. Return to oven for 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Serve.