- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup milk
- 3 ½ tablespoons sugar
- ½ vanilla bean, split lengthwise, pulp scraped
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- Freshly grated nutmeg, for garnish
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (2 servings)
427 calories; 30 grams fat; 17 grams saturated fat; 9 grams monounsaturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 27 grams carbohydrates; 27 grams sugars; 7 grams protein; 364 milligrams cholesterol; 61 milligrams sodium
1 1/4 cups
- In a saucepan over medium heat, whisk together cream and milk with 2 tablespoons sugar, vanilla bean pod and pulp.
- In a bowl, whisk egg yolks with remaining sugar. When cream heats to just below a simmer, drizzle half of it into egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Add yolk mixture back into saucepan, whisking constantly.
- Cook sauce over low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until it is thick enough to coat back of spoon, about 5 minutes. Strain mixture into a bowl and stir in brandy. Serve warm or cold over baked apples, garnished with nutmeg.