- 3 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 scant tablespoon tom yum paste (available in Asian markets and speciality stores)
- 2 fresh kaffir lime leaves, finely chopped
- 1 stalk lemon grass, tender inner part only, roughly chopped
- Juice of half a lime
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 small red Thai chili, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 2 ounces enoki mushrooms, trimmed, or 1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces raw shrimp, peeled
- 2 scallions, cut into short lengths and then into strips
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (2 servings)
274 calories; 5 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 2 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 23 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 8 grams sugars; 34 grams protein; 193 milligrams cholesterol; 2070 milligrams sodium
- In a medium saucepan, combine chicken stock, tom yum paste, kaffir lime leaves, lemon grass, lime juice and fish sauce. Add chili and sugar, and stir.
- Place over high heat to bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low. Add mushrooms, and simmer 1 to 2 minutes. Add shrimp and scallions, and simmer until shrimp is barely opaque, 2 to 3 more minutes.
- To serve, divide soup between two bowls. Garnish each with 1 tablespoon cilantro, and serve.