- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 peppercorns
- 2 cups water
- 1 ½ pounds cod or scrod fillets
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Juice of two lemons
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
210 calories; 4 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 1 gram monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 9 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 2 grams sugars; 35 grams protein; 217 milligrams cholesterol; 827 milligrams sodium
3 or 4 servings
- Spread the onion, lemon, bayleaf, one-half teaspoon salt and peppercorns in a casserole. Add the water, bring to a simmer and cook for five minutes. Place the fish in the casserole, cover and simmer gently just until the fish turns opaque, about eight minutes. Remove the fish to a platter, cover with foil and keep warm.
- Strain the cooking liquid into a small sauce pan and bring to a boil. Cook until it is reduced to one cup.
- Beat eggs lightly. Combine the cornstarch and lemon juice and add to the eggs along with one-half teaspoon of salt.
- Slowly add the simmering stock to the egg-and-lemon mixture, stirring constantly until the sauce is thickened and smooth. Pour over fish and serve at once.