- 3 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 5-inch piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup tightly packed shredded fresh (or frozen and defrosted) coconut
- 6 medium oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 2 ½ cups peeled and seeded fresh lychees, or 2 20-ounce cans lychees, drained
- Handful chopped mint
- About 1 cup finely crushed ice
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (8 servings)
413 calories; 1 gram fat; 0 grams saturated fat; 0 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 103 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams dietary fiber; 98 grams sugars; 2 grams protein; 294 milligrams sodium
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, salt, ginger and 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until the liquid is reduced by half, about 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a skillet over medium-low heat, toast the coconut, tossing until evenly toasted. Spread on a plate to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the oranges and lychees. Remove and discard the ginger from the syrup and pour the syrup over the fruit. Mix in the mint and chill.
- To serve, spoon the fruit mixture into 8 small bowls. Add about 2 tablespoons crushed ice to each bowl and top with toasted coconut. Serve immediately.
30 minutes, plus chill time