- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour (more as needed)
- 2 tablespoons (packed) brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ pound (1 stick) chilled butter
- ½ cup chopped toasted walnuts or cooked wheat berries
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk, or as needed
- Vegetable oil or nonstick spray for greasing baking sheet
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (8 servings)
316 calories; 17 grams fat; 8 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 3 grams monounsaturated fat; 4 grams polyunsaturated fat; 36 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 11 grams sugars; 5 grams protein; 54 milligrams cholesterol; 178 milligrams sodium
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, combine whole wheat flour, 1 cup white flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry blender, or two knives scissors-fashion, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Add nuts or wheat berries. Stir in the maple syrup and egg and just enough milk so that dough leaves side of bowl and forms a ball. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; gently roll in flour to coat. Knead lightly; if dough is very soft, roll in flour again. Transfer to a lightly greased baking sheet. Pat or roll into an 8-inch disk; cut into 8 wedges, but do not separate.
- Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Immediately remove from baking sheet, and carefully separate. Serve warm.