- 1 cup plus 2 teaspoons salt
- 20 razor clams or 32 soft-shell clams (steamers)
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 2 quarts frying oil
- 2 cups milk
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ cup flour
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
612 calories; 42 grams fat; 5 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 24 grams monounsaturated fat; 11 grams polyunsaturated fat; 39 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram dietary fiber; 6 grams sugars; 17 grams protein; 33 milligrams cholesterol; 5092 milligrams sodium
- In a large bowl, dissolve 1 cup of salt in 3 quarts water. Add the clams. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cornmeal over water. Soak for at least 1 hour.
- Rinse the clams thoroughly, then shuck and clean them. (For help, go to www.razorclams.com.) Slice the clams into 1-inch pieces. (For steamers, pierce the bellies to prevent them from popping when fried.)
- In a deep pan, heat oil to 360 degrees. Strain the reserved clam juice, then combine with the milk and cayenne. Add the clams to this mixture.
- In a bowl combine the flour, remaining cornmeal and 2 teaspoons salt. Dredge clams in the flour. Shake off excess flour and deep-fry for about 1 minute. As soon as the sound of the frying quickly lowers, remove the clams to a paper-towel-lined plate. Season with salt. Serve with tartar sauce.
30 minutes, plus 1 hour soak