- ¾ pound raw langoustines, prawns or Spanish red shrimp
- Salt to taste if desired
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus butter for greasing pan and paper
- 2 tablespoons Cognac
- 1 ¼ pounds raw shrimp
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 ½ cups heavy cream
- Green sauce (see recipe)
8 to 10 servings
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Shell and devein langoustines. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat butter in large skillet and add langoustines. Cook, stirring, about a minute or just until langoustines lose raw look. Remove skillet from heat and sprinkle on Cognac.
- Shell and devein shrimp. Put uncooked shrimp in container of food processor and add salt, pepper and nutmeg. Start processing while gradually adding cream.
- Spoon and scrape pureed shrimp mixture into mixing bowl. Add cooked langoustines plus any pan liquid and blend.
- Butter 2-quart glass loaf pan (9 by 5 by 3 inches) and spoon and scrape mixture into it. Smooth over top. Cut out rectangle of wax paper that will fit neatly over mixture. Butter it and place it buttered side down over mixture. Cover closely with foil.
- Set baking dish in basin of simmering water and place in oven. Bake 1 hour 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Remove pate from water bath. Let cool to room temperature, then chill.
- Unmold and serve sliced with green sauce on the side.