- ¾ pound ripe tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup sake
- 1 packet gelatin, softened in 3 tablespoons water
- 1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat or cooked and peeled small shrimp
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 basil leaves, very thinly sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup finely diced cucumber
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
123 calories; 2 grams fat; 0 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 1 gram monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 4 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram dietary fiber; 1 gram sugars; 17 grams protein; 73 milligrams cholesterol; 435 milligrams sodium
- Purée the tomatoes in a food processor. Strain through a fine-meshed sieve into a small saucepan. This should yield about 1 cup liquid. Add the sake to the tomato water and heat over a medium-low flame until very warm to the touch. Season to taste with salt. Remove from the heat and stir in the gelatin until it is fully dissolved. Pour into a pie dish or other baking dish. Chill until firm.
- Just before serving, put the crab in a bowl. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil and basil. Season with salt and pepper and toss lightly. Place a small mound to one side of each of 6 plates.
- Unmold half the gelée (reserving the rest for another use — with goat cheese and toasts, for instance) and chop into small pieces. Spoon in a line or half-moon shape next to the crab. Then spoon the cucumber next to the gelée.
25 minutes, plus chill time