- 2 pounds neck of veal
- 1 veal knuckle
- Water to cover
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons vinegar or to taste
- 1 teaspoon powdered plain gelatin, softened in 1 tablespoon cold water (use more gelatin if you want very firm result)
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
314 calories; 13 grams fat; 5 grams saturated fat; 4 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 0 grams carbohydrates; 0 grams dietary fiber; 0 grams sugars; 45 grams protein; 186 milligrams cholesterol; 194 milligrams sodium
- Simmer first four ingredients for 2 to 3 hours or until very tender.
- Take out meat, cool, remove bones and sinews and cut into small pieces. Meanwhile, let stock boil hard to reduce slightly.
- Strain stock, add meat, pepper and vinegar, correct seasonings and add gelatin.
- Cool 10 minutes, pour into suitable mold such as a loaf pan and refrigerate overnight.
- Cut into slices, arrange on platter and garnish with pickled beets (see recipe below).
3 hours 20 minutes