- 1 cup dried cannellini beans, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder, in 2-inch chunks
- 1 medium-size onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons smoked Spanish paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Grated zest and juice of 2 oranges
- 1 ½ cups dry red wine
- 3 branches fresh rosemary
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Small pinch red chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
916 calories; 51 grams fat; 15 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 25 grams monounsaturated fat; 5 grams polyunsaturated fat; 49 grams carbohydrates; 12 grams dietary fiber; 12 grams sugars; 52 grams protein; 161 milligrams cholesterol; 397 milligrams sodium
- Place beans in a saucepan, cover with water by 2 inches, bring to a boil, cook 2 minutes, cover and set aside to soak 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 4-quart casserole and lightly brown pork without crowding over medium-high heat. Remove. Add onion, garlic and bell pepper. Sauté over low heat until soft. Stir in paprika, cloves and zest. Stir in orange juice and wine, scraping bottom of pan. Return pork to pan. Set aside until beans have finished soaking, then drain beans and add. Add rosemary, black pepper and chili. Bring to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer 2 hours, until beans are tender. Season with salt. Leave in casserole for serving or transfer to a serving dish. Drizzle over remaining oil and scatter parsley on top before serving.