- 1 3- to 4-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces, at room temperature
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- About 40 large garlic cloves
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup chicken stock or canned broth
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
1012 calories; 69 grams fat; 19 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 30 grams monounsaturated fat; 13 grams polyunsaturated fat; 13 grams carbohydrates; 0 grams dietary fiber; 0 grams sugars; 76 grams protein; 305 milligrams cholesterol; 381 milligrams sodium
- Season chicken liberally with salt and pepper. Place a deep, nonreactive skillet or Dutch oven over high heat, and add oil and butter. When fats are hot but not smoking, add chicken pieces skin side down and cook until skin turns an even, golden brown, about 5 minutes. Work in batches, if necessary, and carefully regulate heat to avoid scorching skin. Turn pieces and brown them on other side for an additional 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Bury garlic cloves under chicken to make sure they settle in one layer at bottom of skillet. sautéed shaking or stirring pan frequently, until garlic is lightly browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Add wine and stock, scraping bottom of pan.
- Cover and continue cooking until juices run clear when a thigh is pricked, 10 to 15 minutes more. Serve chicken with garlic and pan juices and, if desired, rice or sautéed potatoes.