- 1 large (8-ounce) Vidalia onion
- 2 tablespoons, plus 2 teaspoons, extra-virgin olive oil, or as needed
- 12 anchovy fillets in oil, drained
- ½ cup finely julienned roasted red peppers
- ½ cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 16 capers
- ¼ cup loosely packed parsley leaves
- ¼ cup loosely packed young dill fronds (if older and coarse, roughly chop)
- ¼ cup loosely packed mint leaves
- 1 ½ teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, or as needed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces halloumi cheese, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Rustic bread, for serving
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
299 calories; 24 grams fat; 10 grams saturated fat; 10 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 9 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram dietary fiber; 5 grams sugars; 12 grams protein; 60 milligrams cholesterol; 1108 milligrams sodium
Serves 4 to 6 as meze
- Preheat a grill or broiler to high. Cut the onion crosswise into 1/2-inch slices, keeping the rings intact. Lay the slices in one layer on a baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Grill or broil, flipping once, until browned and crispy on the edges, about 5 minutes per side. Cool to room temperature.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the onions, anchovies, red peppers, olives, capers, parsley, dill and mint. Dress with the lemon juice, 2 teaspoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, adjusting the amounts as needed to taste.
- Place a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil. When hot, sear the halloumi until browned on both sides. Transfer to a platter and top with salad and serve with bread.