- 1 ½ to 2 pounds fillets of bluefish or, if preferred, mackerel
- Kosher salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced very thin
- 1 medium tomato, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 1/2-inch by 3-inch by 1/4-inch slab of cream cheese, broken into small pieces
- 1 lemon, halved, one half left intact and the other sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
395 calories; 22 grams fat; 5 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 9 grams monounsaturated fat; 3 grams polyunsaturated fat; 5 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram dietary fiber; 2 grams sugars; 40 grams protein; 131 milligrams cholesterol; 579 milligrams sodium
- Start grill or preheat oven to 450 degrees. Rinse fillets, and pat dry. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Take two large sheets of aluminum foil and curl up the edges, making a tray large enough to hold fish and other ingredients. Rub foil with olive oil.
- Spread a third of the onion slices on the foil, followed by a third of the tomato slices. Place fillets over tomato and onion layers. Place remaining onion over fillets, and dot evenly with mayonnaise.
- Dot cream cheese pieces over onions. Squeeze juice of intact half lemon over everything. Remove stray lemon pits. Place remaining tomatoes over onions and fish. Salt again. Lay lemon slices over and around fish.
- Cover loosely with foil, and place on hot grill or in oven. Cook 12 to 15 minutes, or until fish is cooked through. Remove foil tray from grill or oven, and dot fish with butter. Serve with some of the juices.