- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine or good medium-dry sherry
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon potato starch
- 12 ounces boneless short rib or other beef steak
- 1 ¾ cups peanut oil
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 2 fresh red chilies, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 to 4 teaspoons dried chili flakes
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 scallions, green parts only, finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (2 servings)
779 calories; 68 grams fat; 19 grams saturated fat; 1 gram trans fat; 31 grams monounsaturated fat; 15 grams polyunsaturated fat; 10 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 1 gram sugars; 31 grams protein; 124 milligrams cholesterol; 1010 milligrams sodium
2 to 4 servings
- In a bowl, mix the wine, salt, soy sauces, flour and one tablespoon water. Cut the beef across the grain into thin slices and add to marinade.
- In a wok, heat peanut oil to about 275 degrees. Add beef and stir gently for two to three minutes, then remove from oil with a slotted spoon and drain well.
- Pour off all but 3 tablespoons of oil in wok. Over a high flame, add the ginger, garlic, fresh chilies, chili flakes and cumin and stir-fry briefly, until they are fragrant. Return beef to the wok and stir well, seasoning with salt to taste.
- When beef is sizzling and fragrant,add scallion greens and toss briefly. Remove from heat and stir in sesame oil.