For the dough:
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- ⅓ cup milk, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
For the filling:
- 12 ounces farmer’s cheese
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg yolk
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- Flour, for dusting
- 1 large egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- Confectioners’ sugar, optional
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (24 servings)
149 calories; 6 grams fat; 3 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 1 gram monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 19 grams carbohydrates; 0 grams dietary fiber; 6 grams sugars; 4 grams protein; 40 milligrams cholesterol; 113 milligrams sodium
About 24 pastries
- For the dough: In bowl of an electric mixer, combine yeast and milk and allow to sit for a few minutes. Stir in eggs, butter, sour cream, sugar, salt and flour. Mix well until dough turns into a ball. Transfer to a covered container and allow to rest for 30 minutes, then refrigerate overnight.
- For the filling: In bowl of an electric mixer, combine farmer’s cheese, sour cream, sugar, flour, vanilla, egg yolk and lemon zest. Mix well. Transfer to a covered container and refrigerate until needed, up to 24 hours.
- For assembly: Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Lightly dust a work surface with flour and roll out dough into a rectangle 1/8 inch thick. Cut into 4-by-4-inch squares. Spoon about 1 tablespoon filling into center of each square. Pick up corners of each square and press points together.
- Arrange pastries on baking sheets about 1 1/2 inches apart. Brush with egg mixture. Bake until golden, about 20 minutes. Allow to cool and serve as is or sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar.