- ½ loaf Italian bread, crust removed, torn into small pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground veal
- 2 large eggs, scrambled
- 4 ounces thinly sliced pancetta, chopped
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan
- 1 bunch parsley, cleaned and finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- Kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
740 calories; 56 grams fat; 21 grams saturated fat; 1 gram trans fat; 25 grams monounsaturated fat; 4 grams polyunsaturated fat; 12 grams carbohydrates; 0 grams dietary fiber; 2 grams sugars; 39 grams protein; 199 milligrams cholesterol; 598 milligrams sodium
Serves 6 to 8
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Soak the bread in the milk for 10 minutes.
- Mix the beef, veal, eggs, pancetta, Parmesan, parsley and lemon zest in a large bowl. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Squeeze the bread to remove excess milk, then chop and add it to the meat. Mix gently until well combined, but do not overmix. Transfer onto a board and shape into a fine meatloaf, shy of a foot in length and 4 inches across. Loosely cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large, ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatloaf and sear without moving it until it is browned, about 5 minutes. Carefully slide a spatula under the meatloaf, then gently use another spatula to help turn it and brown the second side, again without moving it for 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Pour out all but 2 tablespoons of the fat, return the skillet to the stove and raise the heat to high. Add the wine and deglaze the pan, scraping up the browned bits stuck to it with a wooden spoon. Return the meatloaf to the skillet and then transfer to the oven, basting occasionally with the pan juices, until a meat thermometer inserted into the center of the loaf reads 150 degrees, about 25 minutes.
- Transfer the meatloaf to a platter and let stand, tented with foil, 10 minutes. Slice, pour the pan juices over the top and serve.
1 hour 20 minutes