- 1 pound dried figs
- ½ cup yogurt
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves or allspice
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (12 servings)
302 calories; 12 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 3 grams monounsaturated fat; 6 grams polyunsaturated fat; 44 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 24 grams sugars; 5 grams protein; 32 milligrams cholesterol; 268 milligrams sodium
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cover figs with boiling water. Let stand 10 minutes; drain and reserve water. Chop off stems and, using scissors, cut fine. Mix 1/2 cup of reserved fig water with yogurt. Set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt, spices and baking soda together twice.
- Cream shortening and sugar together until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla.
- Add sifted ingredients alternately with yogurt mixture, beating until smooth after each addition. Add nuts and figs.
- Turn mixture into greased 9-inch tube pan and bake 50 minutes to 1 hour. Let stand briefly.
- Unmold cake while still warm onto round dish. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar.
About 1 hour 30 minutes