Try this version this year instead of the traditional Thanksgiving salad. The original Waldorf salad combined celery, apples, and mayonnaise. Gradually walnuts and raisins were added to the mix. This version is not made with the gloppy mayonnaise we associate with Waldorf salad, but it has the same sweet, savory and crunchy mixture of celery, apples, raisins, and walnuts. Slice the apples and celery thin for a more elegant salad.
For the Dressing
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ½ cup plain low-fat yogurt
- ¾ teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt to taste
For the salad
- 2 fuji apples
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ⅓ cup lightly toasted walnut halves
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery, from the heart of the celery
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ cup celery leaves or flat-leaf parsley (or 2 tablespoons each), coarsely chopped
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
154 calories; 8 grams fat; 0 grams saturated fat; 0 grams monounsaturated fat; 3 grams polyunsaturated fat; 18 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 13 grams sugars; 2 grams protein; 3 milligrams cholesterol; 61 milligrams sodium
- Mix together the lemon juice, yogurt, mayonnaise, curry powder, cumin, and salt. Set aside.
- Cut the apple into 12 wedges. Cut away the core of each wedge and slice into thin crosswise slices. Toss in a large bowl with 2 teaspoons lemon juice. Add the remaining ingredients and toss together.
- Shortly before serving toss the salad with the dressing.