- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 cup drained canned tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt to taste, if desired
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (2 servings)
604 calories; 61 grams fat; 38 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 17 grams monounsaturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 9 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 7 grams sugars; 3 grams protein; 208 milligrams cholesterol; 188 milligrams sodium
About one and one- quarter cups
- Heat one tablespoon of the butter in a saucepan and add the shallots. Cook briefly, stirring, and add the vinegar and wine and cook until the liquid is almost reduced.
- Add the tomatoes and cook over relatively high heat, stirring, about three minutes.
- Add the cream and bring to the boil. Pour the mixture into the container of a food processor or electric blender and blend thoroughly.
- Line a saucepan with a sieve and pour the sauce into it. Strain the sauce, pressing with the back of a wooden spoon to push most of the solids through. Add salt and pepper.
- Bring the sauce to the boil and swirl in the remaining two tablespoons of butter.