- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 ⅓ cups graham cracker crumbs, made from one package graham crackers, which has 9 full cracker sheets
- ¼ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 ¼ teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 ¼ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch ground cloves
- Large pinch salt
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
640 calories; 41 grams fat; 22 grams saturated fat; 1 gram trans fat; 8 grams monounsaturated fat; 7 grams polyunsaturated fat; 62 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams dietary fiber; 27 grams sugars; 8 grams protein; 133 milligrams cholesterol; 472 milligrams sodium
6 to 8 servings
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Put the sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan, add water to cover by about an inch, and bring to a boil; reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the potatoes are very tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain, then rice the potatoes or run them through a food mill.
- While the potatoes cook, put the graham crackers in a food processor and pulse several times until they are finely ground. Add the shredded coconut, 2 tablespoons of the sugar and 1/4 teaspoon each of the ginger and cinnamon, and pulse once or twice; add the melted butter and pulse just to combine. Press the mixture into a 9-inch pie dish and bake for about 7 minutes. Remove the crust from the oven and cool.
- In a food processor, combine the eggs with the remaining sugar, ginger and cinnamon, along with the nutmeg, cloves and salt; pulse until well combined. Add the coconut milk and pulse to combine, then add the sweet potatoes and pulse until just smooth.
- Put the pie plate on a baking sheet. Pour the sweet potato mixture into the crust and bake until the mixture is set on top but still quite moist, 40 to 45 minutes. Cool on a rack and serve warm or at room temperature.
1 hour 20 minutes